Saturday, September 5, 2009

Let's Get Rid Of Sundays.

This is the second Sunday that I wish I could fast forward through. Long days filled with nothing in particular lead to homesickness and the inevitable question of "What the hell am I doing here?" Last Sunday was full of frustration, flat tires, the beating sun, marriage proposals by those who find violence against women acceptable, and slow driving that stretched into the night. And today? Today involved lies about aching stomachs to avoid repeating last Sunday's adventure, loneliness, an entire season of Grey's Anatomy, and waiting for the hours to go by so it can be Monday.

I love Mondays in Africa. Monday means other volunteers. And structure. And the days are full of language training. Weekdays are exhausting but enjoyable. And I can't even begin to describe how frustrating language can be.

I also love mornings. They are chilly and sunny and comfort comes in the form of instant coffee and silence. It's a nice routine.

And now I'm just counting down until my birthday dinner this Wednesday which might be full of pizza and beer and friends and comfort. Closely followed by a Saturday of traveling to Caprivi and who knows what that will bring!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you, Sarah! Hang in there :) And happy birthday!

~A Tyndall Locke

erica said...

happy belated birthday! just checking in to see if i can comment now...seems to be working! hope your b-day was fabulous, and enjoy your mornings!