Friday, August 28, 2009

8.25.09

(Just an FYI, my blog posts are going to be a bit behind, so this one is from 8.25, and a lot has happened since then)

It is only slowly beginning to sink in that I am in Africa. Surrounded by English and my fellow Trainees in Johannesburg in a nice hotel with hot showers, cold beer, and a warm bed I was still in the mindset of United States comfort. Even now, after a few days in a hostel in Namibia, it hasn't hit me completely. I still have all the amenities I could hope for, and the warnings and preparations about being able to accept that I may have to give some things up haven't been needed just yet. Granted, seeing a group of baboons crossing the road isn't exactly something you'd see in the U.S., I still haven't felt that shock that I'm in Africa.

That is very soon to come! Today, we were given our languages and a brief introduction. I am learning Silozi, a Bantu language (think ha kuna matata...an actual Solizo phrase)that is spoken in the Caprivi strip, which is the little handle in the north east part of Namibia. Some most likelies: I will be living in a hut, perhaps having to carry my own water, bathing with buckets, and 2 days away from Windhoek. This contrasts greatly to the majority of my fellow Trainees. There are three of us headed to Caprivi, the rest of us will live in other areas around the country, rural and urban, and to my knowledge, none of them will be living in a hut. I am completely ready for this.


Just a few notes about contacting me:

-I will hopefully be getting a cell phone next Friday, and thus have a lot more access to the internet.

-When sending me mail, or packages rather, if you put religious affiliated things on it it is less likely to be tampered with.

-Mail takes 2 to 3 weeks, maybe a month

-Don't send anything during the holiday season, most likely it will not reach me.

-If you don't get any emails or letters from me for a bit, don't be offended, it will be much easier when I get a little more settled in.

0 comments: