1.8.10
While some of my fellow volunteers were a bit restless during the month of December, I was almost entirely content. School concluded and left almost the whole of the month with no scheduled activities. It really improved my ability to do nothing, and feel truly relaxed and at peace.
Most of my days were spent sitting underneath the big tree in our lapa (yard) on a reed mat and playing cards. All of my meals were cooked for me and I actually enjoyed doing laundry (I even enjoyed fetching the water, mostly because it made me feel accomplished afterwards). Every now and again I would take a quick trip to town, maybe buy some necessary ingredients to bake a cake or 100+ peanut butter cookies. And Grey’s Anatomy. Yes I got Manga hooked on Grey’s Anatomy. So hooked that we finished the entire series. I watched The Lion King twice with my family and also finished three seasons of 30 Rock on my own.
The break welcomed extended family members to the Sabuta village, making it feel a little crowded at times. Christmas celebration manifested itself as a church service on a Friday, followed by drinking. A lot of drinking.
At times I wanted to scream because my house was almost always full of people, most of whom didn’t even knock before entering, taking my ice, cups, and spoons. And as some of you may know, I need space now and again to process, to think. “Me time,” if you will. Despite this, I came to love these people. When I return from my current week of training to the village, many of these people will be gone. The holiday will be over and they will have left for school or work. I’m pretty bummed. I just have to remind myself that much of my family will still be there and I will be going back to classrooms full of learners. So right now, I’m just trying to pump myself up for my first actual term of teaching here. Sometimes I don’t feel adult enough for this.
Teaching?
Seriously?
3 comments:
I think adulthood is so much more about how we live in our own skin...and you sound like you are learning to do that in leaps and bounds. The pictures were wonderful.
Mom
hey, glad you're writing again. and i agree with your mom about adulthood (i'm not an expert or anything, but i can occasionally fake it, and really that's all it seems to be). also, i think it's commendable that you didn't get restless when school's out; being content when there's nothing scheduled to do, i think, means you've found a place there in a more real way. you rock.
Hey Sarah, just read your post, and related to not feeling ready to teach (even though I've had a year of classes on the subject). Sometimes it's a comfort to me to think that young people are filled with so much curiosity that they'll probably learn with or without me there telling them what I think they need to hear. I hope all is going well and I'm sending good thoughts your way.
Post a Comment