While I’ve definitely become more comfortable here in Mubiza, things are still troubling. The week began with a very hurt kitten. The poor thing might have to have its leg amputated, but we are hoping it recovers.
I then proceeded to find out that the water pumps are broken, so there has been no clean water in the village since Friday. This makes things entirely frustrating and the whole ordeal has made me realize how much trouble I have asking for help. Yesterday I was out of water and after school I sent two learners to fill up my buckets. They came back with water too filthy to put into my water filter. I hadn’t had anything to drink all day so I did it anyways and luckily didn’t get sick from it. I sat in my hut trying to figure out what to do. I needed more water and didn’t want to ask anyone for help. I wanted to be able to do it myself. Instead I sat on my bed and cried. I was really thirsty.
I decided to cut it out and ask for help. My host dad came to my hut and told me the water I had wasn’t water for drinking. So we ventured to a neighboring village to see his sister and get powder to clean the water. Of course we were invited to eat food. Unfortunately it was not my favorite dish. Sour milk and porridge. I gulped down what I could, and when we returned home I found I had missed a visit from a volunteer who lives in town. I was pretty bummed, but luckily I cleaned my water and was finally able to drink something. I think that was the most satisfying water I have ever tasted.
It gets really hot here.
Today’s frustrations came in the form of 6th graders. Their classroom is the shade beneath a tree. So that doesn’t help the teaching process. For some reason they felt like today they didn’t have to listen, and during part of the lesson a truck came right by our classes and got stuck in the sand. My voice is not loud. It’s hard to shout over an extremely loud vehicle.
Despite all this, things are good. I just need to learn to get over myself and ask for help. This lack of privacy and independence gets to me.
1 comments:
The struggles you describe are so different than anything we face here. I sometimes wish I could ease this for you but remind myself that it is all part of the journey. Take good care of yourself and hopefully with time the energy to ask for help will be more accessible to you.
Mom
Post a Comment